WaysSouth Voices Newsletter Summer 2011
2010-2011 has been a year of action and progress for WaysSouth. There have been numerous initiatives and meetings on behalf of our Corridor K and Stop I-3 projects with elected officials, citizens groups and supporting organizations. WaysSouth has grown in resources, expertise and credibility. Here we share with our supporters key activities by the staff and Board over the past fiscal year.
- Selected to the I-3 Study Expert Working Group (EWG) and participated in 4 meetings of the EWG.
- Six public presentations about I-3 and Corridor K projects.
- Introduction of the new and improved WaysSouth Website.
- Prepared briefing papers on Corridor-K for public hearings.
- Sponsored first annual WaysSouth Fundraiser/Band Party in Tiger GA
- Published eleven Action Alerts and two newsletters to inform and activate WaysSouth supporters. Action Alert topics included:
º I-3 alternatives, webinar announcements and public comment alerts
º Tennessee DOT public meeting announcements and C-K calls for comments
º North Carolina DOT public hearing announcements Corridor K Federal funding
º Asheville NC area Long Range Transportation Plan Appalachian Regional Commission funding
- Prepared/submitted comments on key transportation issues to Federal, State and local governments. These included comments to:
º Federal government agencies about improvement of existing roads
º Federal Highway Admin. on the draft I-3 Study
º Georgia DOT on proposed U.S. 76/SR 515 widening in Union and Towns Counties GA
º Corridor K public hearing
º North Carolina on Statewide Transportation Improvement Plan
º Tennessee on Tennessee section of Corridor K
º North Carolina DOT on Asheville NC area Long Range Transportation Plan
º North Carolina DOT on Robbinsville NC
º President Obama on Federal transportation bill and initiatives